Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Tuesday's Terrific Technique: Paper Pansy

Today I am starting a new feature on my blog. I love techniques, so every Tuesday I am going to try to share a technique or tutorial with you. Some of the techniques you may know, but hopefully many of them will be new.
I was playing around with my Scallop Circle Punch today and came up with this fun little paper pansy.
You will need:

2 pieces of patterned paper or card stock (or 1 double-sided piece). Here I am using October Afternoon's Cherry Hill line.

A scallop circle punch (I'm using Stampin' Up!'s scallop circle punch).

A good scissors.

Adhesive













Step 1:

Punch 2 circles from your paper of choice













Step 2:

Cut from the point of a scallop into the center of the circle. Do not cut all the way to the middle. Cut just short of the center of the circle.

Repeat this cut on EVERY OTHER scallop.














When you are finished your scallop circle should look like the picture below. Note the small area in the center of the circle where there are no cuts.
















Step 3:

Cut 3 scallops out of the circle (this will remove 1 pair of scallops and leave a single scallop). You should now have a gap in your circle.












Step 4:

Adhere the single scallop to the back of the double scallop across the gap. Your flower will now have a cone shape.













Step 5:

Repeat this process on your second scallop circle.













Step 6:

Layer your 2 scallop circles on top of each other and carefully curl the petals down. (At this point you can use a dot of glue in the center of you circles to adhere the circles together or you can skip to step 7 and use a brad, eyelet, or some sort of embellishment to hold your flower together).













Step 7:

Add a center to your flower. I used a 5/16" brad, which is also holding my 2 scallop circles together.













Step 8: Use your paper pansy on something! I added it to this card along with a little ribbon from American Crafts and a "Thinking of You" stamp from Stampin' Up!'s Sincere SalutationsDon't be shy. Let me know what you think of this tutorial or if you have any questions about this technique. As with all new things, I will have a learning curve with this. Let me know if I can do something differently to make things more clear. If you enjoy this new feature, I'll try to make it a regular Tuesday post. Thanks in advance for your feedback!

No comments: