Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Winter in Venice

I have a lot of info to pack into today's post, so I'll get right into it. I created this layout for My Mind's Eye's Sketch Challenge #19. This time around there's a layout sketch and a card sketch. Today I'm attempting the layout sketch. The theme is winter. Here's the sketch:

Here's my layout:


I know at first it doesn't look like it follows the theme, but in November/December of 2009 my husband and I went to Italy. This page talks about how winter in Italy is much, much warmer than winter in Iowa (big shock there, right?).

The paper and accessories used here are from MME's Lost & Found Collection. Often MME will release a collection that has 2 or more lines as part of that collection. Lost & Found has 4 lines. For scrapping my photos from Venice, I thought 2 of the lines (Union Square and Portobello Road) would work beautifully. I love Lost & Found, however, one word of caution: The paper is glittery. You and your work space will look like you've had a run in with the glitter fairy after you're done creating with it. Totally worth it, you just may not want to work with it right before you have to run out and give a big presentation or something :-) Because the paper has a lot of texture, you're also going to want to use a nice strong adhesive. I used Glue Dots® on all the paper pieces and the Continuous Glue Line from Glue Dots® on the velvet ribbon, and am very happy with the hold.
I used a newish tool from We R Memory Keepers called Seweasy to pre-pierce the holes for the hand stitching on the layout. It's the first time I've tried any of the Seweasy products and I am loving it so far. It really speeds up the process of hand stitching.

One last thing (I know, I warned you I had a lot to say about this layout). My LSS, A Walk Down Memory Lane, started 2 new clubs this year. One is a 50 Layout club. You can find info on both clubs here. I've made it a personal goal to finish my album from our trip to Italy by the end of this year. There's a lot of photos, so the 50 layout club is helping to motivate me! So, you may just be seeing a lot of Italy layouts on my blog this year.

No comments: