Friday, January 7, 2011

Bored Box


I know you've heard it...it's usually said in a whine...those dreaded words, "I'm bored!". Today, I have a project that you can do with your kid(s). Not only will the time spent making the project keep them from being bored, but the project itself is filled with ideas to keep them entertained.

1. Gather your supplies:


You'll need
Glue Dots® Continuous Line
Medium sized Glue Dots® (I used Memory Book Dots)
Removable Glue Dots®
A wood tissue box
Paint (I used Ranger Adirondack Paint Dabber in Sunshine Yellow)
Paper (I used Cosmo Cricket The Boyfriend)
Accessories (I used Cosmo Cricket The Boyfriend Chipboard)
A Kid (yours or borrow a friend's :-)

2. Measure the sides and top of your box.
3. While you are cutting paper to fit the box, have your child paint the corners and edges. Paint anywhere the wood might peak out from under the paper.

4. Add Glue Dots® Continuous Line to the edges of your paper and attach the paper to the box (My kiddo is only 4, so I applied the adhesive, and he put the paper on the box. If your child is a bit older, have them do the adhesive too!).


5. To cut the hole in the lid, first attach your piece of paper to the top with removable Glue Dots®

Flip the box upside down, and trace the hole from the inside.

Remove the paper and Glue Dots®, Cut the circle out, and use Glue Dots® Continuous line to attach the paper to the top of the box.


6. Decorate the box.

7. Agree to "Bored Box" Rules and attach them to the box. Our rules say:
1. "I'm bored!" ~ Pull an activity from the box.
2. You must do the activity you pull out.
3. You must spend at least 15 minutes at it before doing something else or pulling a new slip
from the box.

8. Add activities to the box. Decide on activities together that are fun, or productive, or just plain silly. Some of our Bored Box activities are: Draw a picture, clean your bedroom, color with markers, dance, play a video game, play a board game, dust, cook something (pretend kitchen or real kitchen with mom), read books....you get the idea. You can change out seasonal items as the weather permits.

My oldest already told me he can't wait to be bored so he can try out his new box!


I wrote this blog post while participating on the Glue Dots® design team.

1 comment:

Kelly Sas said...

This is a GREAT idea!