Friday, February 28, 2014

Beer Shaving Soap

My latest obsession is making soap.  My first soap was Coconut Shea Butter Soap, and after trying it, I was hooked.  Not only do I love figuring out what the different oils will be like when combined, I enjoy the process of making a 100% natural soap (I just don't love the waiting time while it cures!).  I ran across a few recipes for using beer instead of water in soap making.  I thought it sounded like fun, so I came up with my own recipe for beer using some of my favorite ingredients.


I've been using this soap for about a 2 weeks now, and it's fast become my favorite.  The beer gives it a really rich, creamy lather.  I call this shaving soap because I added a bit of castor oil to make the foam nice and stable, which makes it especially good for shaving.  I also added a bit of eucalyptus essential oil, because I thought it complimented the earthy smell that the beer gives the soap.  As an added bonus, since it's made with beer, my husband is willing to use homemade soap now.  Here's the recipe:

Beer Shaving Soap

8 oz Coconut Oil
8 oz Olive Oil
12 oz Soybean oil
3 oz Castor oil
4.3 oz Lye
11 oz Beer
.5 oz Eucalyptus oil (optional)

Have you made soap with beer? I'd love to hear what you think about it.

1 comment:

Courtney O'Dell said...

Love it! My hubby is almost out of his shaving soap, he'd love this!