Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Bloom Project and an Announcement

Alright, this frame I created has been posted a few places now (including Crate Paper's blog!!!), so I think it's time I posted it here with a few directions.
This project was truly easy to create, it just takes a little time. The frame measures 12" x 12". I just happened to have an old frame in the right size that wasn't being used. It was black, so I used some Claudine Hellmuth paint to make it white. The background is a 12" x 12" piece of kraft colored card stock. I used my Silhouette to cut the brown outline of the flower and the word "Bloom". For you Silhouette users, the file is Chrysanthemum_CO583_20508. There are only 2 flowers as part of that file (the center and right hand flower), so I copied, pasted, flipped, and shrunk the flower on the right so it became the flower on the left. Then I used 1 piece of every paper from each of Crate Paper's new lines; Restoration, School Spirit, and Snow Day to fill in the petals. I only had small pieces of each of these papers, so I traced and cut each petal by hand (easy, but it does take a bit of time). The tracing and cutting don't need to be exact, because you attach the petals behind the brown outline of the flower, so you don't see the edges of your hand cut petals. I really love how this project turned out, and can't wait to do it again. I think the same technique would look really cool with Christmas ornaments, trees, or one large flower (no stem). If you have any questions about how this was done, please feel free to ask. If you want to see this project in real life, it's on display at A Walk Down Memory Lane in Rock Valley, IA.

Now on to a quick announcement. As some of you may know, I've been on the in store Design Team at A Walk Down Memory Lane for about a year now. Recently Lisa, the owner, asked me to be her Social Media Coordinator for both the physical location and the on-line store. What does that mean? Well, I'll be coordinating posts and hosting giveaways on AWMDL's Facebook Page, I'll be writing a few newsletters for the store, and I'll be posting projects, info, and all sorts of fun stuff on AWDML's blog every day (Monday - Friday). I'm excited to be starting this new position, and hope you'll join me in the fun!

1 comment:

wherethey'llgo said...

Hey Sam! Can't find your email so I hope you get this through me leaving a comment here. We decided to book our trip with Go Ahead Tours and wanted you to know we used you as a referal so there should be $200 in vouchers for you there. Thanks for the info, we are excited! Christy S.