Thursday, July 29, 2010

Grunge Board Bracelets

I'm really excited to show you these bracelets today. I've seen bracelets like these pop up here and there around the Internet, but now I've finally had the chance to make some. I'm not sure who came up with this idea first, if anyone knows who did, let me know, I'd love to give them the credit here. They're relatively quick to make, and lots of fun. I made 6 to start out with, but you better believe I'll be making more. I think I'll try stamping on them the next go around. First I'll show you all 6 and give you a run down on how to make them yourself. Then I'll show each one individually and tell you the different items/techniques I used to embellish it. Hope you enjoy them as much as I do!

To make one of these:

1. Cut Tim Holtz Grunge Board to 1”, 1 ½” or 2” with. I used pre-embossed Grunge Board, but you can use the plain GB and emboss it yourself.

2. Paint the front side (the side with the bumps) of the GB with any kind of acrylic paint (I used Adriondack and Claudine Hellmuth). When the front side is dry, paint the back side. I painted all of my back sides a white, almost clear color so the color of the GB color could show through.
3. Sand the front side until the paint comes off the raised pattern, exposing the GB on the raised pattern.
4. Ink the front side of the bracelet. Then use a wet paper towel to wipe the ink off of the bracelet. The ink will wipe off of the painted areas, but not off the exposed GB (at this point you can add a clear, shimmery layer of paint or Glossy Accents if you like, but it is optional).
5. Add a way to fasten the bracelet. I set a snap into the bracelet for a fastener.
6. Add some embellishments to the bracelet. I sewed most of my accents on, I figured they would hold longer sewn than glued.

This one is one of my favorites. I painted it yellow, added orange ink, and embellished with flowers from Bo Bunny and a yellow button.

This one was done with purple paint and grey ink. I sealed over it with a pearl paint to give it a pearly sheen. I sewed on a pearl and crystal beads for the embellishment.

This one has green paint and brown ink. I traced and cut 2 flowers from the same Grunge Board I used to make the bracelet. I painted both flowers brown, then sanded them and inked them with a lighter brown ink. I sewed the button and both flowers onto the bracelet.

This one was painted red with grey ink. I set My Mind's Eye Red Lush Brads into the bracelet. I'm not sure how comfortable it will be having the brad ends on the inside of the bracelet, but I'm going to try it out.

This one was painted with blue paint and sponged with blue ink. I used a pearl paint on this one as well. The big metal flower is a decorative grommet from We R Memory Keepers. After setting the grommet, I sewed a button in the center.

This is my other favorite. It was painted with tan paint and inked with brown ink. The cork button is from Pink Paislee's Queen Bee line. I sewed it and the tan button onto the bracelet.

If you try these out, I'd love to see them. Just leave a link in the comments.

4 comments:

Kelly Sas said...

Wow Samantha! This is the first time I have seen these and I LOVE them. My favorites are the green one and the last one with the cork button. Great work. I wonder if they would fit your mothers wrist?

Tami said...

Thanks for the compliment on layout! :D Love those grungeboard bracelets...must make some so I can finally use that hoarded product of mine. :D

Beauty School said...

These are so adorable. I'm planning my friend's bridal shower right now. These would make great place card holders, that turn into a gift.

Amanda said...

i have been making some of these but have been having trouble finding the right size snaps to go through the grungeboard. do you know what size/kind you used