Sunday, June 6, 2010

Handmade Fabric Flowers and Homemade T-Shirts

I've been having a blast playing with fabric this weekend. I have so many projects to show you that I'm just going to jump right into it.
First up is a card with a hand sewn fabric flower. I don't have a sewing machine right now, so you read that right - I was crazy enough to sew it by hand. I saw these flowers on the amazingly talented Carina Gardner's site. You can snag the template for them free on her sight by clicking here. They're really easy to make and so, so pretty! I just knew this card would be perfect for the current challenge going on at the Moxie Fab World Blog. All you have to do to play along is make a card that uses fabric. Mission accomplished!

I just got some heat transfer and the rhinestone starter kit from Silhouette. Here's what I've done this weekend with it. I'll share a few tips and tricks at the end of the pictures.
A shirt for my dear husband who loves snowmobiling (the SCSC on the front pocket stands for Sioux County Snowmobile Club):
A Tank-top for me:
Baby boy gifts:Baby girl gift:
and a gift for twins (I got this super cute idea from the3littlelonis):A few tips and tricks:
The heat transfer~
will take on texture of any cloth put over it during the ironing process if the plastic transfer material isn't cover it. Why this matters? When doing a small layer over a big image (like the SCSC over the snowmobile on the pocket) you must have a big piece of transfer plastic to cover the whole image, not just the piece being transferred. I saved the large piece of plastic that was left over after transferring the snowmobile onto the back of the shirt and used that as a 2nd layer. I did the same thing when adding the rhinestones over the heat transfer material on the tank top.

The rhinestones~
I reused my transfer tape. It's sticky enough to be used 2-3 times before throwing out. This should save a little $
You can use the template shape (that you cut with your silhouette into template material) over and over again. For example, if you want to make 3 of the same onesies with a flower on them, you can use the same template 3 times, you don't need to cut 3 separate flowers. Again, this should save you a little $

Whew...I think you've made it to the end, of my really long post. Hope you enjoyed it!

4 comments:

Paper Crafts & Scrapbooking Editor said...

Hey Samantha! Thanks for entering the Fun with Fabric challenge in the Moxie Fab World! I'm so glad you played along! :)

Carina Gardner said...

AWESOME flower card!!!! I love seeing someone else use the template! Someone ran into this site and emailed me! Very cool stuff!

April said...

How did you do the two color heat transfers on the onesies and your husbands shirt? Is it printable heat transfer for did you just layer the transfer material on top of each other?

Samantha Taylor said...

April,
I used 2 different colors of heat transfer and layered them. Thankfully the design file I picked had ready-made layers.