Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Altered Art Challenge

This month Glue Dots® challenged its Dottesses to create some altered art. Well, I just happened to have a frame sitting around...I decided to make this piece of altered art. This is going to my (adult) sister who we've always referred to as princess. She also works and volunteers for Make-a-Wish, so it works perfectly for her. However, I'm thinking it would be a fun craft for little girls, too.


I started by gathering up the stuff I figured I would need...usually I miss a thing or 2 and end up grabbing a few things I won't need...but here's the official list of what I actually used to make the frame:


Frame
Glue Dots® (Micro, Mini, Memory Book)
Patterned Paper (Pebbles Ever After)
Rhinestones
Other Embellishments (SRM Stickers Princess)



Often, when altering art, I find that I must destroy it just a little to ready it for alteration. Here I used a butter knife to pry the back (which had been glued on) off of the frame.


When "artfully" destroying something, it's best to decide ahead of time where it is acceptable to have damage, and where it isn't. For example, I tried to avoid damaging the frame, but it was okay if the backing was torn up a bit, as my plan was to paper over it anyways.

I used Memory Book Glue Dots® to attach a new piece of paper to the back of the frame.

Then I used more Memory Book Glue Dots® to attach some more layers to the back.

After putting the back of the frame back onto the frame, I used Micro and Mini Glue Dots® to adhere rhinestones to the outside of the frame. I also used Mini Glue Dots® to attach the S monogram to the outside glass of the frame.

I decided to use my leftovers to create the matching wand. The plastic wand itself is from SRM Stickers. If you'd like learn how I made the top (folded) part of the wand, you can find a tutorial on my blog here.

I wrote this post while participating on the Glue Dots® Design Team.

No comments: