Friday, September 13, 2013

Hand Packaged Homemade Lotion Bars

Today I have a bit of a 2 part post for you. I made some lotion bars and then made some pretty wrappers for them to give as gifts, so I'm going to talk about the whole process from start to finish of making the Hand Packaged Homemade Lotion Bars.




First off, there are lots of great recipes out there on the internet for homemade lotion bars.  I searched, and decided that the basic formula breaks down something like this:

1 part solid fat
1 part liquid/cream fat
1 part beeswax

In mine, for solid fat I used a mix of vegetable shortening and cocoa butter, for liquid fat I used a mix of coconut oil and shea butter.  I want to try these with olive oil some time too, but this time I chose coconut oil for its antibacterial properties.  You'll figure out how much you need by figuring out how much liquid by volume your mold holds.  Basically, I poured water into my mold, measured how much water it was, and divided it by 3.  That number is how much of each part you need (for example if you mold holds 3 cups of water, you'll need 1 cup solid fat, 1 cup liquid fat, and 1 cup beeswax). 
Melt everything together and pour into a mold. 
Let it all cool and pop out your bars.
It's so simple, and you'll end up with lotion bars that work amazingly well! I have very dry, sensitive skin and I am in love with these.



This past Monday a new friend of mine had a birthday, so I decided to wrap one up and give it to her for as a small gift.
These need to be put in a tin or wrapped in something like wax paper.  I chose to wrap the bar in wax paper and then make a patterned paper band from 2 strips of Pebbles From Me to You paper.  I added a few matching stickers from the same collection and was done. It was that easy to wrap! 


I'm thinking these will make great teacher gifts at some point this year, too!
Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

Kelly Sas said...

I know I love my lotion bar you gave me! Thank you. She'll love hers.