Wednesday, February 10, 2010

I-top Punch Flower Tutorial

Here are the instructions for the I-top punch flowers that I made on this project posted on my blog yesterday.
You will need paper (I'm using Imaginisce's Teacher's Pet), at least 1 Imaginisce I-top punch, brads, and a paper piercer (or something to punch a hole with). You'll start by punching out your shapes (for the tutorial's sake we'll call them flowers) with your Imaginisce I-top punch. If you use the 28 or 22 mm punches, you'll need 8 flowers. If you use the 16 mm punch you'll need 6 flowers. Here's the fun part: scrunch all your flowers up, no need to be gentle. You want them good and creased up. Don't worry if they even tear a little. When you're done, you'll have a pile that looks something like this.Now, unfold them all, and then stack all 8 on top of each other.
Next you need to make a hole in the center of the flower stack all the way through to the bottom. I used my paper piercer for this.
Now insert a brad all the way through the hole. The color of the brad doesn't matter, it will be covered up by the flower petals. The brad is just the means of keeping the flower together.
Next, you get to scrunch all those petals, one layer at a time, back towards the center of the flower.When you're all done you'll have a flower that looks like this:Here's all 3 sizes next to each other (looking at your screen the 28 mm is on the left, 22 mm is in the center, and the 16 mm is on the right):
If you're like me, and a bit of an I-top-aholic (yeah, that's a word), and you have all 3 punches, you can make this variation. You'll need to punch out 2 - 16mm flowers, 3 - 22mm flowers, and 3 - 28mm flowers. You'll do the same process as above, stacking the 16mm flowers on top, 22mm flowers in the middle, and 28mm flowers on the bottom. When you're done you'll get less of a dome shaped flower and more a a flat flower. Here's a side view (the multi-sized flower is on the left, the 28mm flower is on the right):Finally, if you missed my post yesterday, here's a project I made using my I-top flowers:
I hope you enjoyed this tutorial. These flowers a pretty, fun, and go together fast! If you try these out, I'd love to see what you make. Just link up a picture in the comments. Happy scrapping!

9 comments:

DustyPenny (Joy Ott) said...

Cute and clever flowers!

mustangkayla said...

HOw cute!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the demo! Now I have another use for my I-top punches. These are fantastic!

Natalie Elphinstone said...

great idea. So clever.

Anonymous said...

Hey girl - these flowers rock! Great work! No wonder they posted them on their blog!

Gisèle said...

just bought an i-top:-)) I need the punch now:-) tks for the super great tutorial!

Tamdsgns said...

Wow! very nice! Give me a reason to buy the I-top! thanks for your wonderful enabling!!!

Suzanne said...

Wow! Fantastic idea!! may have to try these, but I guess I need a tool, first! LOL

Tkat said...

cool!!! i never realized that those flowers took more than just layers...they also need different sizes! great tutorial! :)