Friday, August 19, 2016

Home State Sign

I'm slowly working on a gallery style wall on what is a very large blank wall in our house. It's coming together with a mix of things I already had, a few things I've recently bought, and of course, a few things I'm making. Today, I have a home state sign that I made for my gallery wall.


I was inspired by one of my favorite t-shirts from My State Threads.


Just in case you notice that the states are different - I grew up in Wisconsin and much of my family still lives there. It will always be home. I've lived in Iowa for 9 years and built my family here. Most of my husband's family lives in Iowa, so it too is home.


Onto the making of my Home State Sign. I started with a USA Wood Plank from Jillibean Soup. The sign itself measures about 13.5" long by 11.5" tall. I wanted to paint my "home" in blue, but I really wanted it to pop on the dark wood, so I decided to outline "home" in white paint. To accomplish this, I stenciled the outline first and then overlaid it in blue. I created my "home" in Silhouette Design Studio. I had 2 cut files. One for the larger outline "home" that I painted in white, and a smaller one for the blue "home".  I cut both stencils from SRM vinyl with my Silhouette Cameo.


The color of the vinyl doesn't matter, since I'm using the vinyl as a stencil. The pink vinyl above is the stencil for my white paint.


After the white paint dried, I layered on my second stencil (also cut from SRM Vinyl) for my blue paint. This part wasn't as tricky as I thought it might be to get lined up. 


When I pulled off my second stencil, I was left with "home" that really pops on the rustic wood sign.


There's a cute little wood heart pin that comes with the sign. I finished up the sign by placing the pin into the little corner of Iowa where we live. I can't wait to get this Home State Sign up on my gallery wall. What state is home for you?

This is a personal blog. All editorial content and projects are intellectual property of Taylor Stamped. I  receive material product from SRM Stickers to develop my craft posts, but all ideas and opinions are my own.

2 comments:

Kim said...

I love your sign. Great job!.

Kim said...

I love your sign. Great job!.