Tuesday, December 27, 2016

We Do Disney Sign

Now that Christmas is over, I can finally share these We Do Disney signs that I created. I say signs, because I created one for me, one for my sister, and one for my parents. Yup, in this family we do Disney.


This sign is about 10" x 15". It's painted with red paint and the words are done in tan vinyl. This was the one I created for my parents.


I created two of this larger one (one for my sister's house and one for mine). It's a bit bigger at 12" x 24". I painted it in a simple grey and teal ombre. The vinyl words are white. I also added some light sanding to the edges of this one. I've never painted ombre before, and was really happy with how this turned out. I only used 2 colors of paint (the gray you see at the top and the teal you see at the very bottom). I just squirted both colors onto a plate and slowly mixed a little of the teal into the gray as I moved down the board. It ended up needing two coats of paint, so know when painting ombre you can do two coats. The colors of the top and bottom coats don't have to match up perfectly for you to get a great ombre effect.


Just a little bit about how I created these. I used my Silhouette Cameo and the Silhouette Studio to create my words. There are some really great "We Do Disney" signs out there, but I wanted ones that had words, movies, quotes that were especially meaningful to our family, so I listed out some of our favorite movies and quotes and created the file from there. Remember that your Cameo can cut any font that you have loaded on your computer. For this project I stuck with more whimsical fonts. I cut the entire file onto one large piece of vinyl. That way I only had to line everything up once.


One last note: I usually like to use my vinyl as a stencil that I peel off after painting. Because some of my fonts were so thin, I decided to paint my board and use the vinyl directly this time. Had I used it as a stencil, the edges of my letters would not have been nearly as straight, even, and pretty as the vinyl is.
If you have any questions about how I created these signs please don't hesitate to ask. Have a magical day!

No comments: