Monday, May 14, 2012

End of School Year Gifts Part 1

Hello! I have an end of school year gift to share today, and I'll be back tomorrow with a second one. My son's last day of school is Wednesday, but his school has a classroom grandparent program, and his classroom grandma's last day of school is today. I wanted to give her a little something to thank her for all her time, so today I took in these (one for the classroom grandma, one for the wonderful aide who holds open the school door and greets all the children in the morning, and one for the school office admin):


Inside each of these hand made bags is a fresh baked loaf of bread. Here's the truth: I'm not a very good sewer. I learned a long time ago how to sew, and I just don't do it very much. However, I found this awesome tutorial on making bread bags from dish towels, and I knew that even I could sew this pattern. I love baking bread, so that part wasn't a problem. Last week I found some lovely towels at Target and spent an afternoon cutting and sewing. I was pretty pleased with myself when I finished them. The best part is, after giving 3 away, I still have 3 more bags to put away for the next time I need a fun hand made gift.


When  you sew the bags, you sew a bit of ribbon into the seam for tying the bag shut. I just happen to have a lot of fun ribbon from May Arts, so I just raided my stash and found a number of different ones that worked with the colors of the bags.

Just because I would feel completely out of my element if I didn't add something paper crafted, I also made little thank you tags from Echo Park paper, SRM stickers, and Maya Road Flowers. I tied the tags on with a bit of twisted burlap from May Arts Ribbon.

Thanks for stopping by today! I'll be back tomorrow with another teacher gift idea, and a short tutorial.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Darling! Thank you for sharing!

Cindy deRosier said...

Awesome! Thanks for sharing the link to the tutorial. They do actually sound easy enough for someone like me with no sewing skills, talent or knowledge!